The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 55: Johnstown, NY to Lake Luzerne, NY

Wow, I cannot believe that we only have 6 days of riding left to Portland. Its surreal and somehow demotivating to me. What will we do when we get home? Where will we live? (We have rented our house until the 15th of August and we are hopefully selling on the Winter Park house on the 10th.) It will be an adventure in itself just getting back to life at home. I am looking forward to driving my car. Its funny how you can take your vehicle for granted. There is something to said for climate controlled travel that gets no easier or harder depending on the terrain of the land, winds, etc.

Today's route promised to be one of our shortest yet at 42 miles. We have the luxury of a few short days here in the Adirondacks. Its nice to have the extra time to take many stops and enjoy the scenery. This morning, we didn't get on our way until 11:30 as we took a leisurely breakfast and then rode 5 miles back through the town trying to find the bike shop. Unfortunately we learned that the local bike shop had just moved locations, after riding out to the old shop.

Once Marc stocked up on a few more spokes (he's been breaking them at a rate of about 2 per day!) we were back on our way. I was eager to arrive in Lake Luzerne early as I wanted to spend as much time as we could with Karen. I knew she had a busy schedule at camp so the earlier we could get there the better. Luckily, we rode the entire route with no mechanical problems. We did make one stop at the local Stewarts gas station, which is also known for its delicious ice cream. While enjoying a waffle cone, we talked about our trip with a local couple who were originally from Elgin, IL.

Its funny how everyone we meet has just about the same questions about our trip. Its gotten to be a routine between Marc and I as we share answering the questions and pause at just the right time to let the other interject his or her viewpoint. Its like a well rehearsed script.

Arriving at the Luzerne Music Camp was like stepping back in time to visit every camp memory that I had. The camp was located about a mile from town in a heavily wooded area. The cabins reminded me of all the cabins at Conference Point Center CPC, where I worked and lived for 2 summers during my college years. They were even painted in the same CPC signature colors of white and hunter green. ( Although I think every camp paints their cabins that color.) It was a beautiful place and I instantly understood why Karen could leave her home in New Orleans and spend her summers here.

The day we arrived at music camp (its really not a band camp - more of fine music camp for talented kids) was the same day that all the other campers were arriving as well. Luckily we arrived just after the rush and Karen was there to greet us with open arms! It was so good to see her. I think the last time I saw Karen was before I moved to Colorado - so over 10 years ago!

It was easy to relax in the rustic camp setting. Marc and I enjoyed the scenery and music that the evening offered. Mondays are the night that professional musicians visit the camp to perform. We were lucky enough to enjoy the classical music performance that evening and enjoy a gorgeous sunset down by the lake.

We've had such a variety of experiences on this trip and enjoying beautiful music out in the middle of the woods was amazing. Thank you Karen for a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment