The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 56: Lake Luzerne, NY to Ticonderoga, NY

Today could easily top the list of one of the most scenic bike routes in the US. Our ride today followed the shoreline of Lake George for most of our 50+ miles ridden.

Eventhough it was a gorgeous ride, I had a mental block about riding today. I think it was seeing all the people enjoying and playing in the lake that made me envious of their activities. In the morning, I was teased by the busloads of people going whitewater rafting and tubing. Oh that sounded wonderful, I thought to myself. I'd love to sitting in a nice tube gently flowing down the river.

And then when we got to Lake George...it really hurt. People everywhere were swimming, boating, sailing, jetskiing, parasailing, etc. Oh, I just wanted to throw my bike in the lake and join them.

We did make a few stops in Lake George, its a cute vacation destination with lots of tourist activities. Our first stop was at the Tiki Inn. I had seen an article in a tourist magazine about this hotel and it looked really cool. Marc's step-brother, Travis, is a Tiki God - literally that is what his license plate says! So Travis, we stopped in honor of you and took a few photos of the Tiki Bar and other tacky tiki stuff. Photos to follow.

Our next stop was at the Lake George town beach. It was painfully beautiful and I wished for the day that I could just be one of those sunbathers on the beach. We took a few photos, enjoyed the scenery and the 25 cent binoculars on the dock that allow you to spy on every boater in the water.

So, back on the bikes we went and rode the hilly shoreline route to Ticonderoga. The scenery was simply breathtaking with cliffs overlooking sandy shorelines below and quaint towns with antique stores and ice cream shops. Ticonderoga is an Indian word for "land between the waters" as it sits in between Lake George and Lake Champlain. There are many historical buildings in town and I'm eager to take the walking tour of the downtown area.

Tomorrow's destination is now up in the air... originally we were to meet our friends in Lake Placid but we have just received word that they had a death in the family and will be leaving town tomorrow. Its too bad, we were really looking forward to visiting with them! On the positive side, we were going to travel about 50 miles out of our way to see them, so this means that we could possibly have shorter rides to Maine or spend some extra time at our final destination. Hmmm, check our tomorrow for more info... like that suspense!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Bev and Mark!

    Lake George sounds fantastic. We're about a day behind you, having pulled into Ti on the evening of the 27th. Looks like we're going to go off the Adventure Cycling map tomorrow, in the final days of our trip, getting to an airport.

    Wishing you many incredible adventures in the future,
    Roderick and Elliot Young, cyclists you met at Dunville.

    ReplyDelete