The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 54: Rome, NY to Johnstown,NY

We made time to tour Fort Stanwix this morning before leaving town. It was interesting. I love all the American history that lives in the East. Almost every town that we passed along our route today had historical markers and homes dating back to the late 1700's and early 1800's.

You could definitely tell that we were entering the Adirondack Mountains today as the landscape changed quite drastically about halfway through our ride. Our first clue was climbing a hill that lasted about 3 miles - wow! We haven't had a climb like that since the Black Hills in South Dakota. Everyone warned us that the hills out East were not long but very steep. So far, so good, but I expect the hills to get progressively longer as we climb up to Lake Placid and then across to the ocean.

Speaking of which, I can't believe that we only have about 7 more days of riding until we reach Portland. Were dragging it out as much as we can with shorter 50 mile days but the end is still inevitable. Am I excited to reaching the end of our trip? Yes and no. I am ready to get out of the rain instead of having to ride in it - that's for sure. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll miss the daily adventure of seeing something new everyday.

I asked Marc about this over dinner, he says that he's a bit in denial about the end of our trip. He says he doesn't want to think about it. I agree, enjoy the last few days and then we'll have plenty of time to dwell on getting back into the routine.

So we rode our 65 miles today with relatively few problems. Of course, we couldn't go a day without a broken spoke on Marc's tire. He has now replaced almost every spoke on that wheel! Other than that, the weather was overcast and less humid - quite comfortable for once. I hope it doesn't get too chilly in the Adirondacks as I don't have any cold weather clothing - ditched it all in Illinois.

Tomorrow we are off to band camp where we are visiting Karen Sanno - a good friend of my sister Val and a friend of mine as well. Karen plays the violin professionally and teaches at this music camp in the summers. We'll probably not have any internet at camp so I'll post when we get to Ticonderga.

Marc's stats:

67 miles

5 hours total pedal time

13.3 mph average

Winds - WSW at 10 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment