The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 52: North Conway, NH to Portland, ME

Today was a day of lasts... last time we had to pack up the trailer, last motel room on the road, last breakfast, etc. I wish I could say that we had an awesome breakfast for the last one, but it was horrible. I'm beginning to think that all tourist towns have awful restaurants.

We left our hotel room around 9:30 this morning and rode toward town in search of a diner. I saw the "Back Alley" Diner out of the corner of my eye and yelled up to Marc to stop. It was a cute place with a decent menu so we went inside. At first they tried to seat us as this table that was sandwiched between two other tables and even as skinny as we may be- we still couldn't squeeze in. We decided to eat at the bar instead.

After 51 breakfasts on the road, I was ready for something different so I ordered the "Anything Goes" Breakfast. Basically its anything the chef feels like preparing. I was tired of deciding what to eat so I thought it best to let someone else decide - wrong idea! The suspense was fun - I dreaming of a big omelet with a delectable blend of cheeses and meats inside or a big plate of biscuits and gravy. What did I get - Fish Hash with 2 eggs. Fish hash is just as nasty as it sounds. I tried to enjoy the meal, I really did. But trying to stomach fish on an early morning stomach is just too much to ask. Marc later admitted that his breakfast omelet was terrible as well.

We got on the road around 11 am and rode through the busy town of North Conway on to Maine. Our route today would take us through a couple small towns on our way down to the coast and destination of Portland. It was a beautiful sunny day as we rolled along the dense tree lined roads. It was surreal to think that our trip would end today.

We arrived in Portland around 4:30 PM and found our way down to the ocean front. Lots of people were out enjoying the beautiful weather and even a few swimming at the beach. (That must have been cold!) We both sat in silence for a few minutes upon stopping at the water's edge. I'd like to say that I reflected on the meaning of our accomplishment or some other deep thought... but no I was just wondering when we'd get to the motel so I could relax! After snapping a few photos and talking with a couple locals, we headed back to the opposite side of the peninsula to find our hotel. I got a great deal on a room at the Clarion Hotel at its hands down the nicest hotel that we've stayed at yet. We even have a down comforter on our bed!

Ah, going out in style.... tomorrow we'll ride our bikes and empty trailer down to the bike shop where they will dismantle them and ship them home for us. This is a much cheaper and easier way to travel then trying to get them on the plane. We have a few days to explore the area so we are going to rent a car and drive up to Bar Harbor for a couple nights.

Stay tuned over the next couple days as I know Marc wants to post a few comments about our trip and tips for those considering taking on a similar journey. Thank you to everyone that housed us, fed us, cheered us on, and followed our travel blog. You are the ones that made this trip possible for us and most of all fun!

Marc's stats

70 miles

15 mph average

Total trip mileage:

3 comments:

  1. I never had any doubt that you would finish! I'm actually a little teary-eyed! Have fun in Maine and see you in a week or so. Love, Mom, Sierra and Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation guys! It's great to read that you and the bikes made it in one piece. Enjoy your "bike-free" days in Maine - we love it there - lots of great hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It has been very enjoyable to follow you along your route, hear your stories, and see your pictures. I am sure that I don’t speak only for myself when I say I know that I will miss checking the blog every morning, seeing what your previous day’s adventures were, where you are and hearing about the fantastic (and not so fantastic) places and people you have encountered. It is hard to believe that you are already finished! Congratulations on reaching your destination!

    ReplyDelete