The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 48 & Day 49: Ticonderoga, NY to Burlington, VT

Sorry for the missing days! I swear I posted these blogs and then they somehow disappeared into cyberspace.

So what I remember from those days.... Well I definitely cannot forget my breakfast with the colonial forefathers of our nation. I ventured down to check out the free breakfast offerings at the Super 8 in Ticonderoga and to my surprise, the breakfast room was packed full of revolutionary war heroes. Whoa! I had to do a double take to make sure I was in the right room. Sure enough, there was a group of war re-enactment actors staying at our motel and I had the pleasure of sharing breakfast with them!

We had a time deadline that day as we had to make the 3:30 ferry in Port Kent or wait until the final ferry at 6:50. Luckily we made good time that day as we had the winds at our back and only one stop for a broken spoke on Marc's wheel. We rolled into the ferry port with about 45 minutes to spare.
It was a hot day so we used the time wisely and waded in the cold waters of Lake Champlain. Lake Champlain is the 6th largest lake in the US - over 100 miles long and 20 miles wide. Its an impressively beautiful lake framed in by the Adirondacks to the west and the Green Mountains of Vermont to the east.

We boarded the ferry with several other fellow bicyclists. We met a foursome that was biking around Lake Champlain. The all marveled at Marc's trailer and set up. Its funny how the trailer can be a real conversation starter no matter where we go. The hour long ferry ride to Burlington went by quickly as we chatted with the fellow cyclists and with an older couple that lived on the lake.

We arrived in Burlington around 4:30 PM and found a room at the Bel-aire motel about 10 minutes from downtown. For dinner we found the Vermont Brewery with a stellar beer line up for Marc and an even better line up of meat pies for me. If I can't stomach the sweet pies, at least I can do the meat pies. I ordered the "Cock-a-Leekie" Pie. (Marc said it sounds like personal problem.) Oh well, it was a delicious chicken pot pie with leeks and big chunks of vegetables.

The next day was our rest day. We found it easy to kill time in the bustling town of Burlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment