The final leg of our route from MIchigan to Maine


View Marc & Bev Summer Route in a larger map
My husband, Marc, and I are embarking on a 65+ day bike powered journey across the Northern Tier of our great country. This is our first bike touring trip and we are going it alone - just the two of us, a tent and a credit card (well a few other essentials as well.)

I've created this blog to chronicle the ins and outs of our transcontinental bike tour along with highlights of the nation's best and worst slices of pie. Inspired by my love of the Food Network's travel shows...I've added the challenge of seeking out new and exciting flavors of pie. My goal - a different kind of pie every day and yes moon pie, pizza pie and anything else with a crust counts!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 45: Jackson, MI to Belleville, MI

I was really hoping to wake up without pain, but no dice! The leg pain did not go away overnight. Bummer, its hard enough to get motivated to ride all day in the heat, add in pain and its nearly impossible!

Our bike clothes and shoes were still soaking wet from the downpour at the end of yesterday's ride, so I was glad to discover that our motel had a guest laundry. I hobbled over to the laundry room and to my dismay, there were no change machines for the dryer. So, I hobbled down to the lobby for change. As I waited for the clerk, I noticed that the woman in line in front of me had very long, muscular legs.

"Wow, I've biked damn near 3/4 across this country and my legs don't look that good!" I thought to myself. Well, once the "woman" turned around, I felt a bit better about my legs. It wasn't a woman at all, but a transvestite!

We finally rolled out of town around 10:30, after finishing up the laundry and a delicious breakfast at Bob Evans.

Our route took us a bit south of Jackson and across to Ann Arbor. Today, was one of those days for me where everything bothered me. My new shorts (that I ordered off ebay for this trip) were so damn uncomfortable. They were too short and kept riding up on me causing my thighs to rub on the seat nose. On top of that, the back roads we took were terribly bumpy and full of cracks and potholes. I was cursing every bump as I was grumpy and my leg hurt with every crank of the pedal. Little did I know that the roads would get worse, much worse. Around mile 20, our bumpy paved country road turned into a washboard dirt road for about 4 miles. Ugh! I was ready to throw my bike in the ditch and hitch a ride!

Now, I can't complain too much about today's ride as we did have stellar tailwinds at 12-14 mph and the weather was sunny and beautiful.

Around mile 40 we arrived in Ann Arbor and stopped stopped for lunch in the beautiful downtown area. I've always wanted to go to Ann Arbor and it did not disappoint. The best part of our lunch stop was that Quizno's somehow cured my leg pain. After lunch, my leg did not hurt one bit. It was odd.

With the leg pain gone, I was more cheerful about our short ride to Belleville. The route however was busy. We were now in the outskirts of Detroit suburbs and the roads were all 4 lane highways with lots of traffic.

We arrived at our destination around 4 PM! Marc's old high school friend, Scott, lives in a beautiful house in Belleville. We were greeted warmly and are excited to enjoy Scott's home cooked meal tonight!

Tomorrow we will rest again and then Scott is graciously going to drive us to Windsor, Ontario on Sunday morning. (He found his birth certificate and is able to take us across the border in Detroit!)

Marc's stats:

59 miles

13.6 mph

4 hours 15 min. - Ride time.

No comments:

Post a Comment